Losing weight after the Holidays
Dec 23rd, 2013
Hoisin Vegetable and Tofu Stir-Fry
- Sauce:1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbs Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 Tbs tamari
- Stir-Fry:2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu, sliced, patted very dry, then cut into 2x1/2-inch (5x1.25cm) logs
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3x1/2-inch (8x1.25cm) strips
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets, stalks peeled and sliced (about 5 cups or 575g)
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/3 cup water
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Make sure tofu is patted very dry to prevent sticking. Add tofu to wok and stir-fry until lightly golden. Transfer tofu to a platter and reduce heat to medium-high.
- Add a tsp of oil to the wok. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Stir in red bell pepper, broccoli and walnuts and toss to coat with the garlic. Pour in water, toss vegetables, then cover the pan. Cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender but crunchy.
- Stir in tofu, then pour on the sauce mixture. Stir-fry 1 minute or until the sauce coats everything and is thickened. Serve on rice.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.