Barbecued Thai Chicken Salad
- 3.5 lbs broiler fryer chicken
- 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk, regular or low-fat
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 1 Tbs fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 12 red lettuce leaves, rinsed
- 1 medium head lettuce, shredded
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn
- 1/3 cup peanuts, finely chopped
- Sweet and Sour Cilantro Dressing2/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili paste
- 1/3 cup safflower oil
- Rinse chicken, pat dry. Split chicken in half with a large, sharp knife. In a large bowl whisk curry powder into coconut milk. Blend in lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, cilantro and brown sugar. Add chicken, turning to coat in marinade. Cover bowl; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat charcoal grill or oven broiler. Place chicken on grill or broiler, skin side down. Turn after about 10 minutes. Cook until juices run clear or fork can be inserted in chicken with ease, about 30 minutes. Cool chicken slightly; cut into strips.
- Prepare dressing. Arrange lettuce leaves on 6 plates. Combine strands of lettuce, bell pepper and mint; portion onto lettuce leaves. Scatter chicken on top. Sprinkle with peanuts; serve with dressing.
- Sweet and Sour Cilantro DressingCombine all ingredients; stir until sugar dissolves. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition note: Nutriton calculation based on boned, skinless chicken.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.