Poached Bosc Pears
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 ripe Bosc pears, peeled and cored
- mint sprigs (garnish)
- Dissolve sugar into wine and water. Add cloves and cinnamon stick.
- Pears may be poached whole, or cut in half and poached. Add pears to wine mixture and heat just until simmering. Lower heat and poach gently for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand in poaching liquid overnight. Gently remove them from the poaching liquid and drain briefly on paper towels.
- Serve with Creme Anglaise, whipped cream, or a reduction of the poaching liquid. Garnish with fresh mint. To reduce poaching liquid, boil until liquid is reduced by 2/3, or becomes a light syrup.
You may poach 2 or 3 pears at a time, removing when poached, then adding rest of pears or halves.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.