Persian Split Pea Stew
- 2 onions
- 1 lemon
- 1–2 packages of firm tofu
- 3 cups of water
- Olive oil (as needed for sautéing and roasting, about 1/3 cup (80mL)
- 1 28-ounce (795-g) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 2 Tbs Persian spice mix (cumin, coriander, ginger powder, turmeric, saffron, and cinnamon)
- 1 Tbs turmeric
- 1 tsp or more salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Sauté sliced onions in one to two Tbsp (15 to 30mL) of oil until translucent. Add the spice mix and turmeric and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add water, tomatoes, tomato paste, split peas, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the split peas are cooked.
- Dice the potatoes. In a separate bowl, combine two Tbsp (15mL) of oil, spice mix, salt, and pepper, and add the diced potatoes. Toss well, transfer to a cookie sheet, and roast in a 375°F (190°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until done. Repeat with tofu.
- Mix the tofu and potatoes into the stew and serve over steamed rice.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.