Tropical Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, trimmed of fat
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, diced, leaves reserved
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 med Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 whole fresh pineapple with skin
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbs lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- In large saucepan, place chicken breasts and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Add onion, celery leaves, and kosher salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove from liquid and set aside. Discard liquid.
- When cool enough to handle, cut chicken into bite-size pieces. In large bowl, mix together chicken, celery, apples, scallions, grapes, and almonds.
- Use sharp knife to split pineapple into sixths from top to bottom. Slice core off each pineapple wedge and slice off fruit, leaving tufts of leaves in tact.
- Set aside half the fruit for other use or garnish. Cut the remaining fruit into chunks and add to chicken mixture. Set pineapple wedges on six plates.
- In small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, and lemon juice; blend well. Add dressing to chicken mixture and toss thoroughly. Add salt and pepper. Spoon mixture onto pineapple wedges and serve.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.