Braised Autumn Vegetables with Garbanzo Beans
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup winter squash, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) cubes
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) strips
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbs tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups garbanzo beans, cooked
- 3 cups brown basmati rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a 2-quart (1.9L) skillet. Add the onion, followed by the other vegetables in the order listed. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the salt and continue cooking while you make the braising sauce.
- While the vegetables are cooking, combine all of the remaining ingredients, except the beans, in a blender and process to make a smooth sauce.
- Add the sauce and the garbanzo beans to the vegetables.
- Continue cooking just until vegetables are fork-tender.
- Serve over a bed of basmati rice and garnish with fresh basil or cilantro.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.