Hearty, Healthy Vegetarian Lasagna
- 1 8 oz package whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 4 zucchini (fresh)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 5 oz bag of baby spinach
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (with Italian spices, such as basil, oregano, etc. if you can find that)
- 1 25.5 oz jar ready-made spaghetti sauce (I like the tomato basil marinara) or homemade sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil and cooking spray
- 1.5 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan or four-cheese mixtures that also contains Asiagio, Mozzarella, and Fontina)
- NoodlesCook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions (leave them al dente). Salt the water, if you like.
- Once they’re done, lay them flat on foil and set aside.
- VegetablesQuarter all four zucchini and slice thinly.
- Thinly slice one of the red bell peppers. (I cut the slices in half so they’re not so long.)
- Mince three cloves of garlic.
- Heat about 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic, zucchini, and red pepper together.
- Add the whole bag of baby spinach at the end (when the zucchini and red peppers are almost done cooking).
- Sprinkle oregano and dried basil to taste, stir, and let it cook a couple more minutes.
- When the spinach is cooked, turn the heat down to low.
- SauceMince 2 to 3 cloves of garlic.
- Dice half a red onion (If it’s a small onion, dice the whole thing).
- Dice the other red bell pepper.
- Heat 2 to 3 tsp olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Sauté the red onion, garlic, and red pepper for a few minutes (until the onion starts turning a little translucent).
- Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Add dried oregano.
- Once the sauce is heated through, turn the heat down on low.
- CheeseCombine 1.5 cups of the ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella, 1 cup of the Parmesan (or four-cheese mixture) in a bowl.
- AssemblyI assembled the lasagna in a casserole dish and sprayed the bottom of the dish with cooking spray.
- Put a layer of sauce at the bottom of the dish.
- Add a layer of the lasagna noodles.
- Add another layer of the sauce.
- Add a layer of the veggies.
- Put little crumbles of the cheese mixture all over the veggie layer (don’t try to spread it out, the little crumbles seemed to work well).
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.