Braised Lamb Shanks
- 4 lamb shanks
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 Tbs lemon pepper, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes and juice, broken up
- 1/2 cup red wine (substitute chicken broth if desired)
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp allspice, ground
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- In 13 x 9-inch baking dish with meat rack, arrange shanks. Make slits in shank meat. Thinly slice two garlic cloves and insert into slits.
- Season all sides of shanks with 2 tsp lemon pepper and salt. Roast in 325°F oven for 1 hour.
- In 2-quart saucepan with cover, heat oil. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and two finely chopped garlic cloves for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, wine or broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sugar, oregano, 1 tsp lemon pepper, coriander, allspice, and paprika. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes; set aside.
- Remove cooked lamb shanks and rack from pan. Wipe out pan and return shanks to pan.
- Pour on sauce, cover, and cook 1 1/2 to 2 additional hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve with rice or pasta.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.