Cinnamon French Toast with Pomegranate-Apple Compote
- Pomegranate-Apple Compote1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 cup dried pitted cherries
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 lbs Gala apples, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Cinnamon French Toast4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk (or plain soy milk)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
- 8 slices cinnamon swirl (or challah bread), sliced 1 1/2-inch thick
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (garnish)
- Powdered sugar as needed
- Pomegranate-Apple CompoteHeat pomegranate juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until it simmers.
- Turn off heat; add sliced vanilla bean and dried cherries. Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes until cherries are plump.
- Scrape vanilla beans out of the pod and add the beans to the compote; discard the remaining pod.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan, and add the sliced apples. Cook the apples until they begin to soften but still hold their shape (about 5 to 6 minutes).
- Add the maple syrup to the apples, along with the pomegranate juice, vanilla bean, and cherry mixture. Simmer until the juice reduces to a syrup (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Cinnamon French ToastIn a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk (or soy milk), vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Place the bread slices in a flat casserole dish and cover with the egg mixture. Let soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the slices of soaked bread to the pan and cook them until golden brown (about 4 minutes per side).
- Top the cinnamon French toast with the warm pomegranate apple compote. Sprinkle on powdered sugar and garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.