Island Chicken Paella
- 2 lbs bone-in, skinless chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 med onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 14.5 oz can, diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 14 oz cans, chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbs capers
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 Spanish olives (green with pimento), sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 large roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- In a large, deep, non-stick skillet or paella pan with cover, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides; remove chicken and set aside. Add onion and garlic, sautéing until translucent.
- Stirring in rice, cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, water, capers, and cayenne pepper. Press chicken pieces down into the liquid.
- Cover pan and let liquid come to a slow simmer; reduce heat to very low. Let cook until rice is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Top with olives and peas and stir very gently. Arrange the pepper strips on top of the paella. Cover pan again for 3 to 4 minutes, until peas are hot.
- Serve in shallow bowls.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.