Penne al Balsamico
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 large cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup basil chiffonade
- 1/2 tsp red crushed pepper, or to taste
- 3 Tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 28 oz peeled tomato, crushed
- 1/4 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese*
- Add olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Sauté sliced garlic, pine nuts, basil, and red crushed pepper until pine nuts are toasted. Deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar and reduce. Add the crushed tomatoes, bring to boil and cook for five minutes.
- Toss with al dente penne; then add 1/2 cup (70g) grated Romano.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn. The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.